Securing Education For Children With Special Educational Needs

Securing Education For Children With Special Educational Needs

Getting your child the right education is a priority. The right schools inevitably make a difference to your child’s future. It’s why there is such demand for places in certain schools in London and elsewhere. For children with special educational needs (SEN) an appropriate education is even more critical.

It’s precisely two years since a new special educational needs and disability code of practice was introduced.  The code raised the bar in terms of what is expected of each local authority. Now, those with responsibility for school admissions must consider how to ensure young people with SEN or disabilities can “achieve their ambitions and the best possible educational and other outcomes.”

Helping To Navigate The Education System

For parents worried that their child’s needs are not being met the system can sometimes seem difficult to navigate. As education law specialists we regularly represent parents in this position. We advise on:

  • The duties of schools to implement education, health and care (EHC) plans
  • Your right to request a plan where none exists
  • How you can challenge the content of a plan
  • Your legal options if a school fails to follow an EHC plan

Getting An EHC Plan In Place

Most children with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met by measures that apply to the whole school. When these mainstream measures are not sufficient to meet your child’s needs the local authority is obliged to carry out an EHC needs assessment.

As a parent you can request an assessment, and you should be informed within 16 weeks whether or not an individual EHC plan will be made for your child.

Unhappy With The Plan?

We regularly assist parents in appeals to the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Tribunal. These appeals may be against decisions of the local authority to refuse to:

  • Assess EHC needs
  • Produce an SEN statement
  • Reassess special educational needs
  • Create an EHC plan
  • Change the content of an SEN statement or EHC plan

We advise parents on all aspects of the law relating to children with SEN or disabilities. We can provide full tribunal representation if necessary or give you more informal advice that helps protect the interests of your child. Please call 020 8858 5996 or contact us online.

Leave a Comment